For crisis support call 000 or Lifeline on 13 11 14

Emergency or Crisis Support

What is a Mental Health Emergency/Crisis?

Anyone can experience a mental health crisis.

If there is an immediate risk to your safety, or to the safety of others, please call triple zero 000 or go to the emergency department of your local hospital.

A crisis is someone’s personal reaction to an event or experience in their life they find hard to cope with. People may experience crisis as a result of many events. These can include, but are not limited to:

  • Relationship breakdown or difficulties
  • Loss (of a loved one, job, home)
  • Physical health issues
  • Caring for another
  • Violence and trauma
  • Pressures from work or study
  • An accident
  • A natural disaster
  • The onset of mental health issues

(Reference: Lifeline)

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, you may feel that you are no longer able to cope or be in control of your situation.

You may feel great emotional distress or anxiety, can’t cope with day-to-day life or work, think about suicide or self-harm, or experience hallucinations and hearing voices.

A crisis can also be the result of a sudden deterioration of an existing mental health problem or an underlying medical condition.

(Reference: NHS)

It is vital that if you are experiencing a mental health crisis, you receive the correct care as soon as possible.

If You Are Experiencing a Mental Health Crisis

  • Talk to someone you trust: often talking through your experience with someone you trust goes a long way to reducing your anxiety, and can help you to gain some perspective moving forward. If you don’t feel comfortable talking to a loved one, visit your GP or contact Accessline (1800 800 944) or a crisis line like Lifeline.
  • Look after your safety: Put your safety first. If you are in an unsafe situation, try to remove yourself or reach out to someone who can help you stay safe. If you or someone you know is thinking about suicide, seek help immediately by calling the Murrumbidgee Local Health District AccessLine on 1800  800 944 (24 hours, 7 days per week) or Lifeline on 13 11 14 If there is an immediate risk to your safety or the safety of others, please go to the nearest Emergency Department as soon as possible or call emergency services on 000.
  • Recognise your strengths: your skills and abilities can help you cope under pressure. If you are having trouble identifying your strengths, ask a loved one to help you list some strengths that will help you in your current circumstances.
  • Get help: manage your crisis through counselling, medical attention, self-help programs or support networks. You might need to try a number of options depending on your individual circumstances – it’s important to keep trying. Sometimes a crisis is a sign of a longer-term issue. It’s important to get help for problems such as mental health issues or financial difficulties.
  • Make a plan: it can help reduce stress and give positive goals to work towards. For example if you are having financial problems it can help to create a budget.
  • Take care of yourself: by eating healthily, exercising, and sleeping. Give yourself time out from your situation if possible –do things you enjoy. Avoid alcohol and drugs, as they numb feelings and make it harder to cope in the long run.

(Reference: Lifeline)

Local Mental Health, Drug & Alcohol and Emergency Services

Police or Ambulance – Triple Zero 000 add

If there is an immediate risk to your safety, or to the safety of others, please call triple zero 000 or go to the emergency department of your local hospital.

Murrumbidgee Local Health District AccessLine – 1800 800 944 add

The Murrumbidgee Local Heath District AccessLine is staffed by mental health professionals.  This helpline provides 24 hour telephone assessment and referral services and gives people access to expert mental health advice and support for people dealing with a mental health problem. Where appropriate they can put you in contact with the local community mental health team. AccessLine also provides advice about clinical symptoms and local treatment options for health and care service providers, such as general practitioners, police and ambulance officers.

Your Doctor/GP add

Your GP is often a good place to start for most mental health concerns. For more information about talking to your GP about your mental health click here.

24 Hour Help Lines

Murrumbidgee Mental Health AccessLine add

Call 1800 800 944

The Murrumbidgee Local Heath District AccessLine is staffed by mental health professionals.  AccessLine provides 24 hour/7 day per week support, advice and referral to mental health and drug and alcohol services.

Carers, other health professionals and emergency workers can also use AccessLine for advice about a person’s clinical symptoms, their need for care and local treatment options.

AccessLine also provides advice about clinical symptoms and local treatment options for health and care service providers, such as general practitioners, police and ambulance officers.

If someone is in imminent danger always call triple zero and stay with them, or take them to the nearest Emergency Department. Go with the person to the hospital and tell the staff there what you know, support the person to talk about it themselves. The Emergency Department staff will help your person get the service they need.


Lifeline add

Call 13 11 14

Lifeline is a national charity that provides 24/7 crisis support and suicide prevention services.

People call Lifeline talk about:

  • Suicidal thoughts or attempts
  • Personal crisis
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Loneliness
  • Abuse and trauma
  • Stresses from work, family or society
  • Self-help information for friends and family

Anyone across Australia experiencing a personal crisis or thinking about suicide or self-harm can contact Lifeline for support.

(Reference: Lifeline) 

Suicide Prevention Call Back Service add

Call 1300 65 94 67

The Suicide Call Back Service is a 24-hour, nationwide service that provides telephone and online counselling to people 15 years and over who fit one of the following categories:

  • People who are suicidal
  • People caring for someone who is suicidal
  • People bereaved by suicide
  • Health professionals supporting people affected by suicide.
  • The Suicide Call Back Service is especially suited to people who are geographically or emotionally isolated.

The Suicide Call Back Service provides immediate telephone counselling and support in a crisis. Additionally, the service can provide up to six further telephone counselling sessions with the same counsellor scheduled at times best suited to your needs.

(Reference: Suicide Call Back Service) 

For more information visit their website.

The Beyond Blue Support Service add

Call 1300 22 46 36

beyondblue provide a 24/7 telephone service to listen, provide information and advice, and point you in the right direction so you can seek further support for the cost of a local call (could be more from mobiles).

Help for people who are deaf or hard of hearing

People who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can contact us by phone using the National Relay Service.

Help for people for whom English is not their first language

People who do not use English as their first language can get free translation support from the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National).*

(Reference: beyondblue)

For more information visit their website.

Link2home add

Call 1800 152 152

Link2home is the information and referral telephone service for people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless across NSW.

Link2home works in partnership with homelessness services across NSW and can refer you to services that can assist and support you.

The Link2home telephone service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year

(Reference: Family and Community Services: Housing)

For more information visit their website.

1800 RESPECT add

Call 1800 737 732

1800RESPECT nationwide 24 hour telephone service that provides information, counselling and support to people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse

When you contact 1800RESPECT, you will talk to a trained counsellor who will listen and support you in what feels right for you and your situation.

1800RESPECT is a counselling, information and referral service for all Australians, including:

  • People who don’t speak English
  • People who find it easier to speak through an interpreter or translator
  • People who are blind or vision impaired
  • People who are deaf or hearing impaired
  • People who don’t speak or have difficulty with speech

(Reference: 1800RESPECT)

For more information visit their website.

Domestic Violence Helpline add

Call 1800 65 64 63

The Domestic Violence Line is a 24/7 statewide free helpline that provides telephone counselling, information and referrals for women and same-sex partners who are experiencing or have experienced domestic violence.

For more information see: NSW Government – Domestic Violence

NSW Sexual Violence Helpline (Formerly NSW Rape Crisis) add

Call 1800 424 017

NSW Sexual Violence Helpline is a 24/7 telephone and online crisis counselling service for anyone in Australia who has experienced or is at risk of sexual violence, family or domestic violence and their non offending supporters.

The service is staffed by experienced and qualified trauma counsellors, who can assist with:

  • Understanding and managing the immediate and ongoing impacts of experiencing sexual assault,
  • Achieving safety,
  • Making decisions about what to do, and
  • Information about Police, accessing counselling, accommodation, legal and other services in the local area

(Reference: NSW Sexual Violence Helpline)

For more information visit their  website. 

Sands - National Support Line add

Call 1300 072 637

Sands provides support to anyone affected by the death of a baby. The Sands helpline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

(Reference: Sands)

For more information see: Sands – National Support Line

Alcohol Drug Information Service (ADIS) NSW add

Call 1800 422 599

Australian Drug Information Service (ADIS) is a state-wide 24 hour, support, information, counselling and referral service for people who are having issues with alcohol or other drugs, concerned about someone else’s alcohol or other drug use, or just have general questions about alcohol or other drugs.

(Reference: ADIS)

For more information see: ADIS

MensLine Australia add

Call 1300 78 99 78

MensLine Australia is the national telephone and online support, information and referral service for men with family and relationship concerns. The service is available from anywhere in Australia and is staffed by professional counsellors, experienced in men’s issues.

MensLine Australia provides:

  • A safe and private place to talk about concerns
  • Confidential, anonymous and non-judgmental support
  • Coaching and practical strategies for managing personal relationship concerns
  • Relevant information and links to other appropriate services and programs as required
  • Callers have access to 24-hour support, anywhere anytime.

(Reference: MensLine Australia) 

Kids Helpline add

Call 1800 55 1800

The Kids Helpline is a free, 24 hour counselling service for young people aged 5-25 years.

If you’re not sure about talking to someone on the phone, or can’t get to a phone,
you can chat with the Kids Helpline by Email or WebChat.

(Reference: Kids Helpline)

For more information see: Kids Helpline

Wagga Women’s Health Centre add

Call 02 6921 3333

Crisis and Support Workers are available to spend time with women that may currently be or have experienced trauma in their life or who just need someone to speak with.  Wagga Women’s Health Centre staff participate in ongoing training for issues such as domestic and family violence, loneliness, grief and loss, relationship breakdown, experiences of mental health concern and childhood trauma and abuse. Our Crisis and Support Workers are not counsellors however all are appropriately qualified for their position.

Translating and Interpreting Services are available for women from culturally and linguistically diverse cultures.

Crisis and Support can be accessed anonymously. For more information Click here or phone 02 6921 3333

Need an Interpreter? add

The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is a 24/7 immediate phone interpreting service for people who do not speak English (cost of a local call).

TIS Provides:

  • Immediate phone interpreting.
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander automated voice-prompted immediate phone interpreting.
  • Pre-booked phone interpreting.
  • On-site interpreting.
  • Illegal Maritime Arrival (IMA) interpreting.

(Reference: TIS National)

For more information see: TIS National


Not sure where to start?

View all listings in the directory and filter by category

View all listings chevron right

Looking for a mental health clinician?

MapMyRecovery lists services available to the community. You can also speak to your GP or a mental health professional for support.

Phone and online support

Head to Health is a national service website with more than 500 digital resources to support your wellbeing and mental health.

Visit Head to Health

Murrumbidgee Mental Health Drug and Alcohol Alliance have worked to develop MapMyRecovery, a free resource providing mental health information specific to the Murrumbidgee region. This includes the local government areas of: Berrigan, Bland, Carrathool, Coolamon, Edward River, Federation, Greater Hume, Griffith, Gundagai, Hay, Hilltops, Junee, Lachlan, Leeton, Lockhart, Murray River, Murrumbidgee, Narrandera, Snowy Valleys, Temora and Wagga Wagga.